It’s clear that green foods provide numerous nutritional and health benefits including macro vitamins and minerals, protein and fiber benefits, immune system support and they detoxify the body. So why not add these greens to your morning or afternoon smoothie?
It may seem intimidating drinking something that turns an awful shade of green as it blends and grinds together, however not only is it nutritionally beneficial but these shakes really do taste great (depending on what pleases your taste buds). If you usually enjoy spinach, kale, avocado, etc there’s no reason why you wouldn’t enjoy them in your smoothie with some of your favorite fruits or grains.
Even if the sight or taste of these foods may not be as appealing to your buds – adding a fruit, like banana or mango, and/or a flavored greek yogurt to the mix may help mask the bitterness of the greens you don’t usually enjoy. As for the color, that may be something you’ll just have to suck up! Close your eyes, grab a straw and enjoy! Your body will thank you.
Green Smoothie Recipes:
1 large orange, peeled and segmented
1/2 of a large banana, cut into chunks
6 large strawberries
2 cups spinach
1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt (I use Chobani 0%)
1 cup ice
- 1 cup raw spinach
- 1 large mango, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 medium banana
- 3/4 inch slice of tofu (1/4 block) or, 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup brewed green tea (brew the night before and store in fridge so it’s cold and ready to go)
- 1/2 inch slice of fresh ginger, peeled (optional)
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 small cucumber, chopped
- 2 kale leaves
- 1 handful spinach
- Handful of fresh parsley or cilantro
- 1 lemon peeled
- 1 apple, seeded, cored and chopped
Pinterest Search: Green Smoothie Recipes for more!