Instead of static stretching as a warm-up, perform athletic movements that activate your muscles and increase your range of motion.
• Forward and Backward Runs (gradually increase speed)
• High Knees
• Butt Kicks
• Forward and Backward Skips
• Lateral Shuffle
Once your muscles are warmed up, it’s time to increase the intensity with exercises designed to develop explosive lower-body power.
• Power Skips (maximum height)
• Power Skips (maximum distance)
• Lateral Skaters
• Split-Squat Jumps
• Squat Jumps
• Ankle Hops
• Broad Jumps
The next series of exercises emphasizes lower-body strength, balance, and core stability.
• DB Walking Lunges (forward, backward, lateral)
• Single-Leg Balance Drills- (regular, on toe, eyes closed)
Agility drills should reflect the demands of your sport and focus on acceleration, deceleration, change of
direction and reaction. Agility drills can use cones, hurdles, and/or agility ladders. Perform each drill at
max speed. (Subject to change)
• 4-Cone Drill (There are many variations, try them out and use which one gives you the best workout)
The final segment of this speed workout includes running drills that increase endurance.
• Sprints (including Resisted and Assisted Sprints)
• Interval Runs
• Shuttle Runs